The Church of St. Nicholas, one of the most recognizable landmarks in Old Town, dominates and divides the two sections of Little Quarter Square. Construction here began in 1703 and the last brush strokes were put on the majestic frescoed nave in 1761. Franz Palko's fresco, the Celebration of the Holy Trinity, fills the 230 ft high dome. A copper statue of St. Nicholas surmounts the high altar. The church was designed and created by famous Bavarian father and son team Christoph and Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer, in the High Baroque style. Sadly, neither man lived to see the completed edifice. The paintings, frescoes and sculptures on the interior are by leading artists of the day. One of the most prized pieces of art in St. Nicholas' today is a crucifixion by Karel Škréta made dated 1646. The church underwent extensive renovation in the 1950's due to two centuries of leaks and condensation.