Old Town and its central square make up the heart of Prague. As early as the year 1091, in what is now called Old Town Square, the first marketplace appeared in the city. Many houses and churches sprang up around the square, many of which still exist today. The area gained privileges as a town in 1338 and at that time hosted a Town Hall. This hall and other famous buildings such as the Municipal House and the Clam-Gallas Palace reflect the importance of Old Town. Designated as pedestrian only with the exception of a few horse-drawn carriages, Old Town Square ranks among the most exquisite public spaces in any city. In summertime, cafe tables fill the cobblestone streets and draw thousands of visitors from around the world. Some of the most notable attractions around Old Town Square include the Astronomical Clock on the exterior of the Town Hall, the Church of St. Nicholas, Church of Our Lady before Týn, the Jan Huus Monument, Kinský Palace, the Church of St. Gall, and the famous Melantrichova Passage. The square has always been a busy focal point and today offers a tourist information center as well as numbers of cafes, restaurants, galleries and retail shops.