There are seven gardens surrounding Prague Castle. The Royal Garden is historically the most treasured of them. Originally a Renaissance garden, with some beautiful pieces of architecture inspired by Italian influences, it used to be a place where the king and his family relaxed, played games and raised exotic plants. There is an exceptional Renaissance building called the Royal Summer Residence, the Royal Ball Game Hall and some valuable Renaissance and Baroque sculptures and fountains. The gardens were redesigned in the 19th century but still retain much of their original character. Famous statues include the pair of Baroque lions built in 1730 who guard the entrance.