On Friday, November 20, 2015, the Sokol West gymnasium in West,Texas was dedicated with a two-hour celebration and ribbon cutting ceremony. Special guests of honor included Czech Ambassador Petr Gandalovič, Texas Governor Greg Abbott, American Friends of the Czech Republic, American Sokol Organization and many other honorable guests. West lost its Sokol gym in the April 17, 2013 explosion of the West Fertilizer Plant. The celebration of the dedication on November 20, 2015 of the new gymnasium was organized by Master of Ceremonies Bob Podhrasky, First Vice President of American Sokol and President of Sokol Southern District. Mary Beth Dulock, Secretary of Sokol West cut the red ribbon at the ribbon cutting ceremony with Governor Greg Abbott front and center, alongside Ambassador Gandalovič and Fred Malek. Fred Malek, Chairman of the American Friends of the Czech Republic gave remarks to the crowd and expressed what a priviledge it was for AFoCR to have been a part of the creation of the new gymnasium. Jean Hruby, President of American Sokol gave a speech also. Gifts were presented to the Ambassador, the Governor and to Directors of AFoCR. The West High School Jr. Historians gave a traditional dance demonstration and small children showed off their gymnastic skills for all to see. A delicious Czech meal was served to everyone.
Sokol means falcon in Czech, a bird who by its swiftness and energy, symbolizes the active, vigorous, strenuous, real, spartan life. On January 6, 1980, the unit was named Sokol Gymnastics Association of West and it received its charter to the American Sokol Organization in February,1980. Arrangements were made with the West I.S.D. to utilize the M.O Robinson Gymnasium (the former St. Mary's Gym) for the unit's gymnastic activities. With many contributors such as Westfest Inc., local banks, area businesses, and individual's SOKOL was able to purchase needed gymnastic equipment. In 1988, SOKOL West purchased land from SPJST Lodge 54 on 1203 North Davis in West. Then, construction began on the new facility and was completed in March of 1989 and then named Sokol West Gymnasium.
In 1913, Lone Star Hall was established by SPJST (Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas). In 1979, Sokol became part owner of the hall with SPST in order to work side by side for a friendlier community. SPJST voted to lease premises to Sokol West for 25 years. Then, in 2011, SOKOL purchased the other half of the Lone Star Hall from SPJST Lodge #54.
Inscribed on the outside wall of the new Sokol West gymnasium are the words "Byli jsme a budem! We were and we will be!"